DAR ES SALAAM - At least 12 children died and 20 others suffered severe burns when a fire razed a dormitory at a secon-dary school in central Tanzania, police said yesterday.
"The fire is believed to have started after a net caught fire from a candle and spread throughout the dormitory," Evarist Mangala, Iringa region police commissioner said.
He said police were still investigating the incident at Idodi Secondary School, about 460km southwest of Dar es Salaam.
Mangala said the school has no electricity and students normally study with the help of candlelight after dark. - Sapa-AFP