Tue Oct 25 10:39:24 CAT 2016

7 killed in bus crash

By Nawhal Kara | Jul 08, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

A SA Roadlink bus overturned at 7am yesterday en route from Johannesburg to Cape Town, killing seven passengers and injuring about 50.

The bus was in Beaufort West when the driver gave way to a truck that had been tailing him, said company spokesperson Mapaseka Mashelehe. He landed on the gravel shoulder and the bus overturned.

"There were 57 people on board, including two drivers," said a Captain De Klerk of the Beaufort West police.

"Seven passengers died and 12 were seriously injured. The drivers did not sustain any injuries."

Innocence Tshabalala, 18, who was travelling to Cape Town on the bus, phoned his brother Prince early yesterday to tell him about the crash.

"Innocence said that he was injured, cold and stranded," said his brother yesterday.

In December last year KwaZulu-Natal transport MEC Bheki Cele suspended the bus company's operations in the province after an accident in which 75 passengers were injured.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT