THE rural village of Mbodi in Tshipise, Limpopo, is reeling with shock after a teenage boy was seriously injured by a bomb that exploded in his hands on Monday.
It is alleged that the 15-year-old boy picked up the explosive in the bushes and took it home thinking it was a toy. But the "toy" exploded and injured him in his private parts, left hand and fingers. He was rushed to Polokwane Hospital.
Police spokesperson Superintendent Ronel Otto said the boy was seriously injured but could not explain where the bomb came from. He said the victim was obviously had not been aware that what he had picked up was a bomb.
A villager said: "At first I thought it was gas. It is the police who explained what it was."
Otto said a team of explosive experts has been sent to the scene to find out what kind of bomb it was.
An assault case has been opened and an investigation is under way.