Sat Oct 22 09:25:24 SAST 2016

Restraining order put on striking teachers

By Zandile Mbabela | Jun 10, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE Gauteng department of education has been granted a restraining order by the Labour Court - against continuing disruptions by the South African Democratic Teachers' Union.

The court declared the action by Sadtu members illegal.

The department's spokesperson Nanagolo Leopeng said: "The order prevents Sadtu from harassing and intimidating principals, learners, officials and staff members."

The union is also restrained against preventing departmental officials from carrying out their duties.

Sadtu members have been protesting in Soweto since last week because teachers earmarked to fill advertised posts were not duly appointed.

At a mass meeting held yesterday at the Soweto College of Education, the union urged its members not to return to work until the appointment letters were signed.

Education MEC Barbara Creecy has been meeting with the union at both provincial and national level.

She is also expected to meet local structures today.

Creecy has called on all teachers and principals to act against these illegal actions and remain in classrooms.

"We also urge school-governing bodies and parents to ensure that normal schooling is maintained."

Sadtu deputy regional secretary, Ronald Nyathi, said: "Restraining order or not, we are continuing with our protest action."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT