This is great for a Saturday afternoon tea-time treat. Serve with a good jam or preserve topped with whipped cream.
4 cups flour
9 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
8 teaspoons baking powder
milk, to mix
1. Sift dry ingredients together.
2. Using your fingers, rub soft butter into flour mixture until fine crumb stage is reached.
3. Break eggs into 250ml measuring cup and top with milk to make 250ml.
4. Mix together.
5. Work egg mixture into dry ingredients to form a soft, but not sticky dough.
6. If dough is too dry add a tsp of water at a time till the right consistency is produced.
7. Lightly pat dough into a square. Cut into 16 equal parts.
8. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 230°C for 12-15 minutes.