Tue Oct 25 14:13:47 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Reports that Dlamini on hunger strike false

Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela has denied allegations that student leader Mcebo Dla.

'Bus strike on'

By unknown | Feb 03, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Getrude Makhafola

Getrude Makhafola

The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union said it would still go ahead with the bus strike because "the government did not honour the court orders".

Confusion reigned yesterday as to whether the government had complied and paid outstanding subsidies to bus operators.

At 11am, the Gauteng department of transport said it had complied with the court order and paid R114million owed to 12 operators.

But by late yesterday, some operators said they had not seen a cent.

"I have been expecting the money since Friday last week. Nothing has come through up until today," said Johannes Choeu, owner of JR Choeu Express and Coaches.

Raphiri Motsoeneng, spokesman for Putco, declined to comment and referred Sowetan to the SA Bus Operators Association (Saboa).

Saboa's executive manager Eric Cornelius said his organisation had spent hours in court trying to get the government to pay operators.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT