Sat Oct 22 01:54:29 CAT 2016

Celtic to act on referee

By unknown | Dec 01, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Sello Rabothata

Sello Rabothata

Bloemfontein Celtic are to follow up on what they believe is a case of mistaken identity that saw one of their players being shown a red card.

This was for an off the ball incident in their 3-0 defeat to Orlando Pirates in a Telkom Knockout semifinal game on Saturday evening.

The game was played at a packed Chartsworth stadium in Durban.

Celtic manager Khumbulani Konco told Sowetan after the game that the sending off of Geoffrey Sserunkuma in the second half was a mistake on the part of referee Abdul Ebrahim who allegedly later admitted to the Phunya Selesele boss that he had erred.

Sserunkuma was sent off after an incident that saw Pirates' dazzling midfielder Teko Modise being sprawled on the turf following an elbow attack.

As Ebrahim tried to establish what happened, the Celtic players and later the technical team were all over him and in the confusion he flashed red at Serunkuma while the real culprit Cyril Mubiala saw yellow for approaching the assistant referee.

The two were later followed by Tony De Nobrega into the referee's book for using foul language at match officials.

Konco said: "I have spoken to the referee and he admitted it was a case of mistaken identity which he promised to revisit."

Ebrahim seems to make headlines for all the wrong reasons in handling Telkom Knockout matches.

Last year he was involved in the Patrick Apataki incident when he allowed him on to the field as a substitute during the penalty shoot-out in the final between Kaizer Chiefs and Mamelodi Sundowns at Loftus Stadium. Apataki missed that penalty.

Saturday's game saw the resurgence of Pirates continue with fluid attacking football that was a pleasure to behold. Unfortunately the same could not be said of Celtic who seemed content to defend and hoping for a counter.

It took them 35 minutes to fire a shot at Senzo Meyiwa whereas his counterpart, Patrick Tignyemb, had been tested a few times by the marauding Buccaneers.

At this stage it was just a matter of time when Pirates would open their account. This they did after Ditheko Mototo fouled Gilbert Mushangazike inside the box and Lucas Thwala duly converted from the spot on 40 minutes.

The other two goals came from Benson Mhlongo who finished off a Modise pass with the Celtic defence ball watching. Substitute Bennet Chenene sealed Celtic's fate with a brilliant goal after a Modise pinpoint pass four minutes before the end.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT