The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
Muvhango actors sighed with relief when they were finally paid on Monday.
Their salaries were supposed to have been paid into their accounts on August 1.
On Friday Sowetan reported that the actors of the cash-strapped soap had not been paid their August salaries.
The producers said the delay in paying the actors was due to the fact that they were still negotiating a new contract with the SABC.
But SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago yesterday said the delays had nothing to do with the SABC.
"The SABC and Word of Mouth agreed on certain series,"Kganyago said. "We paid all the money we agreed on in advance. All the series that were aired on TV were paid for and and others we agreed on have not yet been aired.
"There was no way that the soap was going to be off air."
Kganyago said a new agreement had been finalised between the SABC and the Word of Mouth.
"The two parties have finally agreed on outstanding issues. The process awaits the board and the SABC executive's approval."
Some actors even reported for duty on Monday.
"Everyone is happy that they were able to pay their bills," said an actor who did not want to be named. "But spirits are low because Duma is unhappy that the fiasco was leaked to Sowetan and some heads will roll."
Publicist Nonkululeko Ndlovu declined to comment yesterday.