Wed Oct 26 02:29:14 CAT 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

No rest for SA netball stars

By unknown | Aug 28, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Linda Moreotsene

Linda Moreotsene

While the National Netball League's nine teams are out of action, and the regions are also in recess, both the junior and senior national teams have a busy program in the next few months.

The five nations tournament was supposed to take place at the Orlando indoor sports centre in Soweto, but was postponed to this weekend.

The New Zealand North team, which is among the that have been invited, has cancelled its trip to South Africa and will not be taking part in this tournament.

The South African Under-19 team, coached by Dudu Msane, has also withdrawn from the tournament.

The team will take on other southern African countries in the Confederations of Southern African Netball Association (Cosana) tournament in October.

"The players could not take time off from school again, after doing so last week. So, we will sadly not be in the tournament. It is quite a disappointment, since we will not have the opportunity to observe combinations before we take part in the Cosana games," said Msane.

The senior team also has meaningful matches against the Netherlands, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados in October and November.

Coach Carin Strauss is hoping that playing these countries will help South Africa improve on its poor number 9 world ranking.

As far as the league is concerned, the Gauteng Thunderbirds were crowned champions this season, and will start defending their title in March next year.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT