Sat Oct 22 15:34:21 SAST 2016

Gautrain steams ahead at most sites

By unknown | Jul 11, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Luzuko Pongoma

Luzuko Pongoma

The Department of Minerals and Energy (DME) yesterday granted Bombela permission to continue with the rest of the Gautrain's underground work after the sinkhole crisis in Rosebank earlier this week.

However, work near Oxford Road, where the sinkhole suddenly appeared on Tuesday, would still be curtailed.

DME spokesman Bheki Khumalo said work would continue on other 10 underground sites after inspectors and engineers had checked them for safety.

"We did spot checks in all the sites. This was to make sure that the community and the workers in those areas were safe," he said.

"We ordered them to do an investigation and we are satisfied with the report [regarding the sinkhole].

"They were sharp, the way they did it. They (Bombela) knew the problem and they did everything to protect people."

Khumalo said that despite the satisfactory safety report, work would not continue near Oxford Road and there would be no penalties imposed against Bombela for the accident there.

Kelebogile Machaka of Bombela said she would reply to Sowetan'squestions but she had not done so by the end of the day.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT