All that Princess Khumalo wanted was for kwaito star Mandoza to face the full might of the law.
The aunt of 38-year-old Felix Thebe, who died in a car accident involving Mandoza earlier this year, heard for the first time yesterday that the musician would be charged on two counts of culpable homicide.
This carries a minimum sentence of five years and maximum of 10 years.
National prosecuting authority (NPA) spokesman Tlali Tlali confirmed yesterday that Mandoza, real name Mduduzi Tshabalala, would appear in the Roodepoort magistrate's court on July 10.
"We received Tshabalala's case docket on Friday last week and decided to charge him on two counts of culpable homicide for his involvement in the accident that left two men dead," Tlali said.
Khumalo was surprised when Sowetan told her of the decision.
"I didn't know this. Who told you Mandoza was going to be charged?"
She said that she would call her lawyer in order to decide what to do, but all she wanted was for Mandoza to appear in court.
Mandoza's manager, Vaughn Eaton, also expressed surprise at the NPA's decision.
"I didn't know this. We are going to get into contact with our lawyers and defend Mandoza."
The accident happened on the N1 North near the Beyers Naude off-ramp on the morning of March 3, when Mandoza was heading for the Mzansi Awards after-party at Emperors Palace.
Mandoza was driving his new SRT Chrysler when he crashed into the back of a VW Jetta. The two occupants of the Jetta, Thebe and Charles Shabalala, died on the scene.