Controversial former University of the Witwatersrand SRC president Mcebo Dlamini was denied bail in .
As part of the national Education Department's plan to assist grade 12 pupils who failed last year, an urgent appeal has been issued by the KwaZulu-Natal education department for the pupils to register for their second chance to pass matric.
The department said it would pull out all the stops to help the pupils by offering them tuition on Saturdays and additional classes during the Easter school holidays.
Pupils who wish to rewrite the subjects that they failed last year have only one week to register "free of charge" at their schools or community centres in their districts, circuits or wards.
"We are encouraging such pupils to register for tuition as from January 15 to 25 in the subjects that they failed.
"They will then be entered for June examinations," said department spokesman Ntokozo Maphisa.
Maphisa said early registration would help the department determine the number of teachers that are needed for the programme.
He said they would use teachers who are experienced in teaching matric pupils. The programme will start in February.
The teachers would be remunerated for their effort and time.
Maphisa urged the pupils to register within the stipulated time. He said only last year's full-time pupils would be part of the classes.
"Those that were doing matric part-time would not be allowed to register for these classes," said Maphisa.
He said with the help of the teachers' unions in the province, a selection process of the teachers who will be attached to the programme would start soon.
"We would like to assure parents that teaching and learning for this year's matric pupils will not be interrupted as this programme will be run on Saturdays and during school holidays," he said.
The provincial National Teachers Union (Natu) said it fully supported the programme.
The union, therefore, encouraged its members to help the pupils and ensure that they passed their examinations during this opportunity.