Despite a dramatic increase in road fatalities since the beginning of this month, there has been a significant decrease in the death toll compared to the same period last year.
By last week Monday, 275 people had died from 230 crashes.
The latest statistics released by the Department of Transport yesterday showed that 564 road users had died from 471 reported crashes, a significant reduction compared to the 844 fatalities reported last year.
The number constitutes 235 pedestrians, 152 drivers and 177 passengers. An additional 71 cases are still being followed up.
Gauteng leads the pack with 119 deaths.
The department advised road users to be careful when driving in the constantly slippery and wet weather conditions.
This past weekend saw hundreds of accidents taking place nationwide, despite stringent law enforcement on the roads.
In Gauteng alone, 250 accidents were reported.
Meanwhile, Johannesburg Metro police spokesman Superintendent Wayne Minnaar said the motorist who died after he lost control of his Mercedes Benz and crashed the car on the N1 yesterday morning was evidently driving at high speed.
"For the car to hit the William Nicol bridge so hard and be that badly damaged shows that the driver was travelling at high speed," said Minnaar.
He said the dead man, who was in his 30s, was from Bloemfontein.
In Tshwane, a tanker hit and killed a pedestrian yesterday after experiencing brake failure.
The department has warned those who overload their vehicles that they would face the full might of the law.
"Although many bus and taxi drivers and operators think that by overloading they can make more money, it is dangerous and will cost them more in the long run," the department said.
Motorists are also warned not to drive without registration plates or permits.
"The vehicle may be impounded, as it is illegal to drive without registration plates or a permit," said the department.