Tue Oct 25 12:36:10 CAT 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Reports that Dlamini on hunger strike false

Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela has denied allegations that student leader Mcebo Dla.

His friend treated for electric shock

By unknown | Nov 26, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Sipho Masombuka

Sipho Masombuka

A boy, three, was electrocuted and his playmate, also three, is being treated for electric shock at Kalafong hospital after they came into contact with an exposed electricity wire.

This happened on Thursday afternoon at the Saulsville's Murray & Roberts hostel in Atteridgeville, Pretoria.

Zizipho Hondile and his friend were electrocuted while swinging on a washing line.

Zizipho's father, Bernnet Hondile, 35, said the washing line on which the boys were swinging allegedly snapped and the other end touched an exposed electric wire.

"I was not at home at the time. I was told by my wife how the accident happened. My wife and other residents rushed my son to Atterigdeville Ambulance Station to be taken to hospital but he was already dead when they arrived there. My son's friend was resuscitated at hospital," said the father of two.

Hondile said residents who are awaiting completion of their family units are accommodated in temporary quarters which do not have electricity, so they connect electricity from the completed units.

"The cables criss-cross the whole yard. Some are underground but most are exposed," he said.

Atteridgeville police spokesman Captain Thomas Mufamadi said they have opened an inquest docket regarding the incident.

Tshwane metro council spokesman Console Tleane said the incident was unfortunate.

"We received a call about the accident at about 20h30 on Thursday stating that a minor was electrocuted. We will conduct a full investigation into the incident," said Tleane.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT