Thu Oct 27 03:13:50 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

Irate villagers clash with police

By unknown | Sep 20, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Frank Maponya and Victor Hlungwani

Frank Maponya and Victor Hlungwani

Pandemonium broke out yesterday during the court appearance of a Limpopo man accused of severing the private parts of an eight-year-old boy last month.

This after the group of villagers who came to witness proceedings in the Malamulele magistrates' court were barred from entering the premises by police.

The more than 300 angry villagers fought their way in, resulting in some of them being injured in the process.

Lucky Simango, the 23-year-old suspect, was wearing the same clothes he wore during his first court appearance earlier this month.

Simango had his case postponed to October 24 for a formal bail application.

Magistrate Dan Maluleke had to delay the matter when the villagers clashed with police officers to allow the situation to cool down.

The court was fully packed with curious people wanting to have a glimpse of the "human parts salesman".

Simango, who lived in the same village as the boy in Jilongo near Malamulele, did not show remorse during the court proceedings.

On August 25 he was found in possession of human body parts believed to be that of Fortune Khumalo.

Eight-year-old Khumalo was allegedly attacked by Simango in a veld near the village last month.

At the time of his arrest Simango allegedly told police he was going to sell the parts. But he could not provide details about the prospective buyer.

Malamulele ANC Youth League chairman Patrick Rihlampfu said they were disappointed with the manner police conducted themselves at the court.

He said the villagers would take up the matter with police authorities to ensure this did not happen again in future.

Meanwhile, Fortune's mother Nancy Siweya, is still by her son's bedside in the George Mukhari Hospital in GaRankuwa outside Pretoria. Yesterday Siweya described her son's condition as satisfactory.

She said Fortune had showed signs of recovery after undergoing a surgical operation on Thursday last week.

He is due for another one on a date to be announced.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT