Many substances found in the home can be poisonous, including liquid soap, some cosmetics, fire-lighters, turpentine, bleach, glue, rat poison, paint stripper, garden sprays and insecticides.
Children are especially at risk from these substances because they are not aware of the consequences of eating or drinking them. Make sure these products are kept out of the reach of children at all times.
If you suspect that someone has taken a poisonous substance and he or she is still conscious, ask the person what happened.
Do not induce vomiting. If the person complains of a burning mouth, give him or her water to drink.
If the person is unconscious, place him or her in the recovery position and
get the person to hospital immediately. - South African First Aid Manual , Struik Publishers