Sat Oct 22 20:08:22 CAT 2016

Sexwale aids victims of the Mozambique armoury blast

By unknown | Apr 25, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Mfundekelwa Mkhulisi

Mfundekelwa Mkhulisi

Five Mozambican children who were injured in an explosion in their country last month are in South Africa for specialist medical treatment.

Thanks to the Tokyo Sexwale Family Foundation, the children, aged between three and 15, were flown to South Africa at the request of the Mozambican government.

They are Elisa Gordo, Anabela Domingos, Celso Muthemba, Rosa Novela, and Alberto Munguambe.

"The Mozambican government asked if we could provide emergency medical relief and we agreed to assist," said foundation chairman Judy Sexwale.

"The objective is to treat the five children and ensure we respond to their needs for humanitarian care."

Some of the children need treatment for third-degree burns they suffered as result of the blast. Others who lost body parts will need artificial ones. The children are accompanied by their parents for emotional support.

According to Sexwale, the parents will be accommodated in Johannesburg to enable them to be with their children during treatment.

"The airlift may have been a complex and costly exercise, but you cannot put a price on the care of a child. That is priceless," said Sexwale.

"Yes, I am happy and we were well treated, but I am worried about my son's progress at school because he is missing classes," said one of the parents, Jose Enersto Munguambe.

The children have been admitted to Brenthurst Clinic in Johannesburg.

They were injured during a blast at a Mozambican armoury last month.

The explosion killed at least 100 people and injured more than 500 people.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT