Mon Oct 24 05:33:56 CAT 2016
Plea for a 72-hour break from Fees Must Fall

Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .

Ex-soccer star Batchelor again embroiled alleged assault

By unknown | Feb 15, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Simon Nare

Simon Nare

Temperamental former soccer star and analyst Marc Batchelor is at it again.

This time he has been taken off air by sports TV channel SuperSport after allegations that he and three other men assaulted a Johannesburg businessman at a restaurant at the weekend.

Talk Radio 702 reported yesterday that businessman Ivor Josephs claimed Batchelor and his three companions beat him up outside a restaurant in Parkhurst on Saturday night.

The radio reported that Josephs' right eyelid was split and he had sustained severe bruising to his face.

SuperSport spokesman Vaughn Bishop said they had decided to take Batchelor temporarily off air until they had more information about the alleged attack.

Bishop said Batchelor had been warned by SuperSport for a similar offence last year.

It is understood Josephs has not yet pressed charges against the former Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs striker and his three friends.

Batchelor has in the past been linked to the disbanded bouncer group, Elite, but his lawyer has denied he was a member of the notorious organisation.

His temperamental behaviour first surfaced when he assaulted a teammate during his days at Chiefs.

He was suspended by the club after he allegedly throttled and threatened to kill Dennis Vukubi during a training session in 1999.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT