Wed May 25 05:18:05 SAST 2016

Matric failures warned not to fake their way into a job

By Dane McDonald | Jan 06, 2016 | COMMENTS [ 31 ]

Against the backdrop of a 5.1% drop in the pass rate for 2015, a background screening company has warned matriculants against lying about their qualifications or results.

“Temptation to lie about your qualifications or results on your CV may be heightened,” said Ina van der Merwe, CEO of background screening company Managed Integrity Evaluation.

“If the company does conduct a background check and finds that your qualification is inaccurate or fraudulent, you will be discovered and may be found guilty of fraud. As a result, you may be investigated, charged and get a criminal record or face jail time for fraud,” according to Van der Merwe.

She said it was quickly becoming standard practice for businesses to screen prospective employees during the hiring process, which often included verifying SA matric and senior certificate qualifications.

Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on Tuesday announced that 2015's national pass rate was 70.7%, which was 5.1% lower than 2014.

Many matriculants will be competing for jobs with recently graduated students as well as SA’s 5.4 million unemployed.

Van der Merwe advised matriculants and graduates to bear in mind that background screening could not be done without a job applicant’s consent.

“While the vetting process may be unfamiliar to those entering the workforce for the first time, refusing one may arouse suspicion. It is best to rather be honest about your results and qualifications. If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear,” she said.

To help job seekers improve their chances of finding employment, Van der Merwe shared the following tips:

• Apply for suitable positions: Remember that not every job requires that you have a matric certificate, so make sure that you respond to vacancies that advertise this.

• Get experience: Many employers appreciate practical experience as valuable skills can be learnt in this way. Volunteering your time is one of the easiest ways of gaining experience.

• Obtain references: Be sure to include the names and contact details of teachers and employers who can provide personal character references.

• Be honest: Ensure that you are honest in your CV as well as in your interviews.

The Department of Social Development has opened counselling centres for matric pupils as well as their parents. The 24-hour toll-free line offers counselling support from professional social workers.

Call 0800 428 428 (toll-free) or send a Please Call Me to *120*7867#

Fin24

Shredder

Are you giving them ideas?

Jan 06, 2016 1:55 | 1 replies

TheNextPresidentOfSA

True,@Shredder they are instilling evil thoughts in them.

Jan 06, 2016 1:59 | 0 replies
Jan 06, 2016 2:5 | 1 replies

maneater

it worked for Hlaodi they might as well try it!

Jan 06, 2016 2:47 | 0 replies

Dessert

Just looked at that picture. I can offer her a job....... then she will study with UNISA.

Jan 06, 2016 2:6 | 0 replies

RobinX

Shredder and Nextprez... Surely you guys don't believe that the notion has not occurred to vast numbers when everyone has seen that nothing actually is done about it if the ruse is uncovered. I just find this exhortation farcical. I mean, what options do even the most intelligent students have (I'm not talking about the top 50 whizzkid types here - just the normal very bright kids)? Job opportunities are scarcer than hens' teeth. The economy is down the tubes. Racism in post-apartheid SA is higher than ever before, essentially nullifying the so-called liberation struggle with it's high-blown ideas of a non-racial society, free education for all and actual viable opportunities for all. Although I don't for one second advocate such cheating, I am also coming to realize that SA today is only working for the unscrupulous. Decent, hard-working middle-class people have less than a snowball's hope in hell.

Worst to me is that I myself, who throughout my thinking life embraced a belief that my country would be a fair place for my children and thus worth fighting for, have lost all that beautiful idealism and confess to having my existence reduced to simply being thankful for being alive - and even that is often not very strong.

Jan 06, 2016 2:12 | 4 replies

therealmjove

Geez Robin... that's some pretty deep writing there ol'man. I personally share your sentiments really. This country is slowly but surely going to Zim's situation.... the poor are getting poorer - even the middle class group is feeling the pinch. I don't but 5ltr ice cream the way I used to before - I have quit smoking about a month ago; cut down on booze. because food is simply is getting more and more expensive.... but what do you think it would take to turn this beautiful- not so rainbow- nation of ours into a thriving power house that it used to be before the likes of Zooma took power Oom Rob?

Jan 06, 2016 2:25 | 2 replies

lombojazz

OOm Rob is a thinking tank,an intellectual who is deep in words,maybe a writer?

Jan 06, 2016 2:37 | 1 replies

RobinX

Not a bad deduction there. I do indeed write.... poetry, essays and songs in English and Afrikaans. That in itself does not a philosopher make though, ne!

Jan 06, 2016 2:40 | 0 replies

RobinX

Thanks. I do see myself as something of a "thinker". What would it take? As you may gather from the pessimistic tone of my comment above, I sadly think that the Zuma tenure has rendered that virtually impossible. I believe that the downward spiral has reached such velocity that there is no longer much chance of stopping it unless ALL SAns actually put aside this pathetic, counter-productive intolerance crap, whether it be racial, gender, nationality or sexual orientation, and actually work TOGETHER to 1) get rid of the scourge the ANC has foisted on our people and 2) put selfishness aside and take care of each other rather than doing our utmost to break one another down as we are prone to do at present, under the happy grins of our corrupt leaders. Whether that is still possible is moot. As a father of wonderful children who could be part of the hope for the future of our once lovely country, I certainly hope it is, as I did my best successfully to convince them not to leave this country, with assurances that 1) my sons would NEVER have to bear arms and that 2) true liberation MUST come eventually. Without hope, what is left?

Jan 06, 2016 2:39 | 0 replies

BlackStarLiner

RobinX – you might sound sympathetic to all these jobless youths but to believe that Racism in post-apartheid SA is higher than ever before is fallacy. Do you expect anyone to believe you when you know exactly that opening your mouth meant death and or prison in those times for anyone opposing whites? I mean whites were comfortable with us in the gutters so there was really no need to say anything because they kept us afraid and separate so how can you expect any racists’ spates then?

Jan 06, 2016 2:35 | 2 replies

RobinX

My friend, just read 70% or more of the posts in here and then tell me again that racism has not become worse in the last few years? Even your assertion that "whites were comfortable with us in the gutters" shows 1) a total ignorance of white dissidence under Apartheid, particularly amongst writers and artists and 2) that you yourself are unable to get rid of racist stereotyping. But what, please, are "racists' spates"?

Jan 06, 2016 2:43 | 1 replies

Jabz

The last year was the highlight of racism, its not cool or funny anymore.

Jan 06, 2016 2:52 | 0 replies

RobinX

With respect, I have lived through detention and physical abuse during those times. So just cut the racist crap, okay!

Jan 06, 2016 2:56 | 0 replies

Jabz

I like this Old man, Oom Rob you rock.

Jan 06, 2016 2:51 | 1 replies

RobinX

Thankyou. I try very hard to combat this disease, as you know. Let's hope we can proceed with less racial invective. Have a good evening. I log off soon.

Jan 06, 2016 2:55 | 0 replies

TheNextPresidentOfSA

@Rob, i hear you, but i never said that cannot be done given the distortions you mentioned. The point i agreed upon was, you cannot tell the kid that litting a merch on paper will catch fire, then you expect that kid not to experiment. What the writer failed to put across was, there will be lots of fake certificates we will be closely watching those development. In that, the writer could have thwarted the very same idea he/she is putting in the minds of the people. Talking about conspiracy to commit fraud.

Jan 06, 2016 3:40 | 0 replies

yang12

Hello, Are you in need of urgent financial assistance for a personal purpose or for your business needs? Here is some good news for you. We offer loans to individuals or corporate firms at the lowest annual percentage rate. Contact us today to get:- *Hard Money Loans *Business Loan *Debt Consolidation Loan *Personal Loan *Business Expansion Loan *Student Loan *Agricultural Development Loan ...And Lots more Email: ryanfengloan@gmail.com

Jan 06, 2016 2:13 | 1 replies

E=mc2

yang12, please f.ck-off.

Jan 06, 2016 4:44 | 0 replies

yang12

Goeie dag, Is jy in die behoefte van dringende finansiële bystand vir 'n persoonlike doel of vir jou sake-behoeftes? Hier is 'n paar goeie nuus vir jou. Ons bied lenings aan individue of korporatiewe maatskappye op die laagste jaarlikse persentasie. Kontak ons vandag om te kry: - * Hard Geld Lenings * Business Lening * Skuld konsolidasie lening * Persoonlike Lening * Uitbreiding Lening Besigheid *Studente lening * Landbou-ontwikkeling Lening ... En nog baie meer E-pos: ryanfengloan@gmail.com

Jan 06, 2016 2:14 | 2 replies

oldlady12

Yang,..." Hier is 'n paar goeie nuus vir jou".....Tlitlitlitlitli, HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, Ja kyk.

Jan 06, 2016 3:13 | 0 replies

therealmjove

Heee hee heee, Can Sowetan remove yang, mafulwane and all the crazy ppl that believe that that a dirty stinking stick can turn their lives around please. we are trying to debate serious matters hierso man samblief tog!

Jan 06, 2016 3:30 | 0 replies

BlackStarLiner

Then better our Education System if you don’t want failures. Take our children through the Education process they can understand in their Language and stop trying to make your slave masters happy. Stop teaching our kids to compete with each other and teach them to take each other’s hands and walk together rather.

Jan 06, 2016 2:27 | 1 replies
Jan 06, 2016 2:44 | 0 replies

lombojazz

But who said they will lie about their qualifications?Please let us stop causing misery of this vulnerable matriculants.To fail matric is not over,they will soldier on and rewrite.

Jan 06, 2016 2:31 | 0 replies

mafulwane

I am Mofulwane FROM CRESTA-There was no happiness in my life because my husband cheated on me; in fact later he separated from me too and left the kids with me to suffer. I was broken and then I heard about MAMA OSMAN a traditional healer. I went to see her and I paid rand 350 consultation fee, she helped me bring my husband back. It only took 2 days and he was back at home, more in love with me than ever, MAMA OSMAN performed a special prayer for me, cleansed me from bad omens and also gave me her powerful special NJOVU OIL plus a special ring to fix my financial problems thank you MAMA OSMAN. So if you find yourself reading this message, don’t call it a chance, but fate has guided your steps .You can contact MAMA Osman on +27710083461 / mamaosman11@gmail.com in case you are having any problem, any sickness, want to win lotto, gambling, Securing of Government or private companies contracts, business is stumbling and so on. I can assure you that you will never be disappointed. She is always there in her temple to help you solve your problems without any adverse effects. There is no other way to say thank you but to tell others about you and your work!

Jan 06, 2016 2:38 | 0 replies

Gud2bme

The poor things just failed and you're piling on more misery

Jan 06, 2016 3:32 | 0 replies

somaartakeit

I think its this message to matriculants is too rich coming from the nation of qualifications fakers, why shouldn't they when SABC boss faked his and earns millions? what is good for the goose is good for hte gander, go ahead kids fake it! let's stop the hypocrisy,

Jan 06, 2016 4:30 | 0 replies