Sat Oct 25 22:40:40 SAST 2014
'Big Brother' snoozers should be losers

JUST how do Mozambican Trezagah, Zambian Macky2, Malawian Mr 265 and Zimbabwean Butterphly survive i.

Celebs talk about suicide

By Zoë Mahopo | Feb 13, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 104 ]

TV PERSONALITY Sade Giliberti, who has fought depression for years, has encouraged teenagers to seek treatment if they have thoughts of suicide.

The former So You Think You Can Dance presenter said her life went into a downward spiral when she was 22. She had tried several times to harm herself.

Giliberti told Sowetan ahead of her speech at Kliptown High School yesterday that she was winning her war against depression and that she had not made any attempts to take her own life in the past six years.

"My father worked away and I was left with my mother, who had a wild lifestyle. When I was 16 she just left. That's when life became difficult," she said.

Giliberti said she had since taken steps to seek psychiatric help and also relied heavily on the support of close friends.

Gilberti was part of the SA Depression and Anxiety Group (Sadag) teenage suicide prevention week. She said she decided to get involved because "it is my responsibility as a public figure to help young people by sharing my experiences".

She said society needed to do more because young people were increasingly committing suicide.

Television actress Hlubi Mboya told the pupils: "I know being a teenager has a lot of ups and downs. It can be great one minute and horrible the next."

Mboya urged pupils to talk about their problems in order to avoid suicide.

Grade 12 pupil Jane Matle said: "Lots of children go through a lot of stress and we have a big drug problem in our community."

Sadag counsellors spent the day explaining that depression was a leading cause of suicide, with symptoms ranging from feelings of guilt, hopelessness, changes in eating and sleeping patterns to crying a lot.

Sadag research also revealed that 80% of the people who committed suicide had told someone about their problems before taking their life.

Some of the warning signs were identified as making jokes about death, giving away prized possessions and a drop in personal hygiene.

Counsellors encouraged young people to assist their peers by lending a supportive ear and reporting any suicide threats before it is too late. - zmahopo@sowetan.co.za

Depression is a sickness for white people??

Feb 13, 2013 1:47 | 0 replies

MommaC: Indeed.

Feb 13, 2013 2:55 | 0 replies

RobinX why are you saying indeed or are you macherrie? You always agree with what MommaC is saying come on now old man!!

Feb 13, 2013 3:1 | 0 replies

H6 but you are being insensti.ve

MommaC..its not that shes entirely depended on a man,but not having a partner for all those years and not even a child must really s.uck! Seeing your peers married with kids ,honestly its not a nice feeling.

Feb 13, 2013 3:3 | 0 replies

I guess we all have the power to exercise our choices but if you find yourself in a situation where you cant differentiate the difference between right and wrong anything can happen

I've been trying to commit suicide but everytime when im supposed to, i forget and become busy with something else. I need help.
I will plan it, have all the necessry tools but somewhere somehow i will forget about it.

Feb 13, 2013 3:3 | 0 replies

@zuluchick i believe in God and i know there are those who dont bliv in God and i dont judge them either its their choice. why should i be the judge only God will judge them!!

Feb 13, 2013 3:6 | 0 replies

@Sentle

Ooh boy here is my FREE ADVICE ::: I know you're running on empty fuel tank so today at the Gas station dn't fill it up in your Car, Just drink it and if you forget, Drive your car with your eyes closed....

Feb 13, 2013 3:10 | 0 replies

Galfrend

That is because we get all this silly Disneyland BS pumped into us from a young age. I've just been outside to threaten my neighbour that if he lifts his hand once more to his girlfriend then I am going to call the neighbourhood watch and they can blixm HIM. Being alone isn't worse than that and no woman would put up with that if she wasn't fed all this 'happily ever after' crap.

I am very fortunate that I found a good man and have been very happily married for many years now. If I hadn't found a good man, I'd still be happy. My happiness is my responsibility.

Feb 13, 2013 3:12 | 0 replies

-LESSON1
@Macherrie

I have been looking for a PA since 2011, I need a hard woking person like you, someone who's patience, loves to type but i can't find one, Please advise before i commit suicide...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL.... hahahahahahaha, tltltltlttltltltltltlt... kodwa kusiwe apha !!!

Feb 13, 2013 3:12 | 0 replies

@-LESSON1
noted baba

Feb 13, 2013 3:15 | 0 replies

MommaC
. If I hadn't found a good man, I'd still be happy.

How?

You are in your 40s,HIV+, had a still born baby,dumped so many times,no kids,not even one,you work hard for who? how do you become happy in such a scenario ,? You are strong Macherrie,I would have commited suicide long back!

Feb 13, 2013 3:16 | 0 replies