Wed Jul 30 04:57:56 SAST 2014
Kalawa Jazmee does it for Madiba (PHOTOS)

Record label Kalawa Jazmee musicians and staff paid a visit to the Doug Whitehead School in honour o.

'Dagga, alcohol led me to jail'

By Mogomotsi Selebi | Dec 11, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 29 ]

A DUMB robber in Rustenburg, North West, could not have chosen a worse person to rob than a female police officer, in uniform nogal, and as a result has spent years in prison.

In 2005, Motheo Ricky Masilo of Tlhabane West, Rustenburg, North West, robbed a police officer. He was arrested and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Motheo, 33 has served seven years of his sentence and will be released on February 1.

Motheo was speaking at the closing ceremony of the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children yesterday.

"I am looking forward to being released and leading a positive life.

"All the time that I spent in prison, although it was not good at all, has changed me into being a better person," Motheo said.

Recalling the day he committed the crime, Motheo said it was his indulgence in drugs that could have influenced him. "I drank a lot of alcohol and also smoked marijuana. I take full responsibility for what I did and would not want to blame it all on drugs, however they do have an effect on one's judgement. My time in prison made me realise that I had to change my life."

He also conceded that committing the crime was his own doing because his family "were not poor, I would say average", but he still chose to commit the crime.

"At the end of the day, drugs that we take cloud our judgements.

"I knew that she was a police officer because she was in her uniform.

"I didn't have the wisdom to know that my actions, especially against a police officer, would land me in prison. I pushed her down, took her badge, cellphone and about R300," he said.

While in prison, Motheo decided to turn his life around.

"I accepted the Lord into my life and I am also planning on completing my Matric.

"A lot of time has passed since I was locked up, but I am willing to work hard to make a success of my life," he said.

Keep your word - but it is a bit out of place to refer to to him as "dumb" now Sowetan.

Dec 11, 2012 7:40 | 0 replies

If you stop smoking pure and clean Ganja, there’s a high probability that you’ll go back to Jail. It is a misconception that Ganja triggers violent behavior. A thief is a thief, ganja or no ganja.

You should learn to live a clean life and stop talking crap; unless if you are another Pinocchio of the Shitstem.

Dec 11, 2012 11:21 | 0 replies

i totally agree with you Keafixa and Coldcurry our county is totally messed up......... and its only a few rotten apples that is spoiling the whole bag. i just pray that by the time my kids grow up, this country will be a better place. With regards to JubJub --------> i mean really what the hell??? what message are we sending to the world out there? this guy that robbed the cop should have then just walked away with a slap on the wrist......... but you get Politicians stealling millions of rands and also nothing is happening!!!!

We as a so-called "Democratic Country" mxm.......... is doomed unless US as the people of South Africa does something drastic!!!!

Dec 11, 2012 11:58 | 0 replies

Well, they all say so while still inside, but once outside, the life starts all over again. Why did he not complete his matric in the seven years that he has spent behind bars? And I guess it could even be more years including the time when he was awaiting trial. This is an old recycled song - we all know it boy!

Dec 11, 2012 12:32 | 0 replies

TheGenius, maybe he was doing gr 1 to 11 in that time.

Dec 11, 2012 12:42 | 0 replies

your saying this because you are still inside come out it will be fairytales

Dec 11, 2012 1:18 | 0 replies

He will do it again they never change. And why do all of them suddenly give their heart to Jesus. They just know how to play the game

Dec 11, 2012 2:21 | 0 replies

Dagga, alcohol led you to jail? that's bull

you started bobbing people with your mother that's why you ended up with a police official in a uniform, you've got no one but yourself to blame, real weed users and those that are drinking say those two can't be mixed you knew you were drugging yourself and now you want us to believe your lies, go to hell and say hello to Hell king (devil)

Dec 11, 2012 3:16 | 0 replies

meant Robbing

Dec 11, 2012 3:43 | 0 replies

we hope he means what he says

Dec 12, 2012 7:9 | 0 replies

33-7 = 26 year old.
That means this guy was arrested when he was 26 & he was supposed to graduate with masters by that age yet he never completed matric.... There is something about this guy that is very worrying....

Dec 12, 2012 8:1 | 0 replies