Thu Oct 23 06:32:59 SAST 2014
'Pineapple juice' price to drop in November

Petrol price is set for another decrease in November..

Exam 'cheats' back

By Alfred Moselakgomo High Court Reporter | Nov 12, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 20 ]

THE Pretoria High Court has ordered Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande to reinstate 18 students from a local college who were suspended for a year for allegedly cheating during an examination.

The students, from Rostec FET College in Pretoria, were suspended on October 3 by the department's irregularity committee after a marker noticed that they all scored "unusually high marks" in their various subjects.

A marker raised the alarm bell when all the students scored marks of between 68% and 100% inindustrial electronics in their final exams.

The department's director, Elisabeth Malindi, then wrote to Rostec management stating: "According to the evidence available, it was found that the candidates were guilty of contravening the examination rules.

"In accordance with the national policy determined by the minister, the results obtained by the candidates in the examination for the instructional offering will not be acknowledged and the candidates may not register for any national exams for a period of eleven months until November 2013."

When Mantladi Nkadimeng, the father of one of the suspended students Peter Seloga , failed to get the department to reverse its decision he took the matter to court.

Seloga is studying electrical engineering.

Nkadimeng argued that his son's suspension was irregular in that he was never given a chance to tell his side of the story, therefore violating his rights.

On November 8, Judge Natvarial Ranchod said the department's procedure to suspend the students was flawed.

He ordered the department to lift the suspension and institute disciplinary proceedings against the students if it felt there was a case.

The department was also ordered to make available the students' examination results, which it had withheld.

Rostec FET College chief executive Phillip Kakuru said he could not comment on the matter as the process was not complete.

Higher Education Department spokeswoman Vuyelwa Qinga did notrespond to voice-mail messages or questions sent through e-mail.

Mphafolane Koma, who represented the students, said: "I am happy that the students now have the chance to set the record straight.

"The department nearly destroyed their futures unnecessarily."

- alfredm@sowetan.co.za

Let off - on a technicality? The department must reinstate the suspension - this time using the proper precedures. Otherwise one of these cheats might end up wiring a house or aeroplane - with disastrous consequences.

Nov 12, 2012 8:0 | 0 replies

i gruaduated from this college and still cant speak English....thi college is not gud

Nov 12, 2012 12:41 | 0 replies

@MommaC...This has happened to me before.About 8 years ago i did a "post grad" IT course in one of these colleges in Johannesburg CBD (name withheld) and i scored 99% in my final exams.The owner of the school refused to believe that that was possible and even insinuated that i might have cheated since i am a Nigerian.

They made me seat for the exam again (with different questions) by myself with two tutors monitoring me.Needless to say i scored 98% in the second exam.They were shocked but did not apologize to me.I got my certificate and transcripts from them but for some unknown reason they just hated me because i scored such high marks.

I would even go as far as saying they were expecting me to fail.Now this is a private school where i enrolled ,payed my hard earned money and they were upset because i excelled better than the local students.Till this day i still can't figure our why the lady(owner of the school) hated me so much.

When i enrolled they promised to write a letter of recommendation for me after my course so i could a better chance of getting a job since i am not a South African but after my exams they just passed me around like a football and i never got the letter.I attended interviews after interviews for few months but was always met with the same excuse e.g : They don't hire Nigerians, They can only hire a foreign national if there are no qualified saffers for the position, They can't hire me because i don't have a green ID e.t.c

I dragged on for few a months before i realized that i will never get a job in this country for "obvious" reasons.I thank these people though because their attitude towards me helped me make a decision that changed my life for the better.If not for them i will probably be a clerk somewhere earning a measly R10k per month.Thankfully GOD had other plans for me.My "struggle" was worth it in the end and just shows that with a little bit of perseverance and dedication anyone can reach greater heights.

Nov 12, 2012 12:51 | 0 replies

Good luck, I encourage them to sue the Higher Education Dept. for wrongfully accused

Nov 12, 2012 12:52 | 0 replies

LeparaThePresident
I know this advocate personally, he once too ZCC to court and win.
*************************************
Koma

Nov 12, 2012 1:11 | 0 replies

Something very similar also happened to me in high school. I was accused of cheating in a history exam. Now why I would is beyond me as I was going to drop it (and the teachers all knew it) the next year in favour of Physics with Chemistry. Yes, I used to goof off in class and not hand in assignments but that didn't mean that I didn't know the subject. For me, it was a very easy subject but not one that I particularly enjoyed. I re-wrote the exam (in the headmistresses office with three teachers watching me) and got a higher mark than the one I had gotten in the exam. They still took my mark down from 80 something to 50% (those days a squeak pass). I never fussed over it because, as I say, I was dropping the subject anyhow but it really got up my nose to be accused of being a liar and a cheat.

Nov 12, 2012 1:18 | 0 replies

@LeparaThePresident
I know this advocate personally, he once too ZCC to court and win.
*******************************************************************
I also know him,we are from the same University and we were both Sasco members that time, I'm happy with my fellow comrade.
*****************************************************************************************************************************

Were you also ko Mamelodi? We graduated together.

Im proud of you Jerry.

Nov 12, 2012 1:23 | 0 replies

MsKinkyakaKamaSutra
This is ridiculous................ so the college promotes underperformance #SMH#

Koma at least you won this one......... phela wena you ar forever in the news for wrong reasons
________________________________________________________________
Bathong MsKinki, which news was he in now.?

Nov 12, 2012 1:41 | 0 replies

A teacher/lecturer knows what students are capable of, and know immediately when their marks are suspicious. However, the college should have followed the correct disciplinary procedure, which I hope it will do.

Nov 12, 2012 1:56 | 0 replies

LeparaThePresident
I know this advocate personally, he once too ZCC to court and win.
*******************************************************************