Move to root out fraud in grants
MPUMALANGA MEC for health and social development Clifford Mkasi and the South African Social Security Agency will today launch the province's social grants re-registration campaign in a bid to root out fraud and corruption in the system.
Sassa provincial spokesman Senzeni Ngubeni said 1.4 million people in the province were receiving grants.
"As of Wednesday at least 12000 people had been taken out of our system. These include ghost beneficiaries, deceased persons or people who did not heed our call to re-register," Ngubeni said.
He said the agency was working with the Department of Home Affairs to verify the details of social grant recipients.
The campaign will be launched at KaMhlushwa Stadium near Tonga, where Sassa will be taking new applications and re-registering existing beneficiaries.
The departments of Home Affairs, Health, Social Development, Police and municipal officials will also be providing services.
He urged people to go to their pay point stations to re-register. The process ends in March 2013. - firstname.lastname@example.org