Motlanthe mum on report
A PROVISIONAL report into the alleged involvement of Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe's partner in a multimillion-rand Iran sanction-busting deal is to remain under wraps for now.
The public protector's office yesterday said a confidential copy had been given to Motlanthe and "all other relevant parties", but the deputy president's spokesman Thabo Masebe denied having received the report.
"We know nothing of it. Even if we did we would not be making a public statement. If any comment is to be made on this matter it will be made by the deputy president to the public protector," he said.
The report is into allegations that Motlanthe's partner Gugu Mtshali and her close associates gave political support for a deal in return for a promised R104-million.
The allegations were broken following an exposé by the Sunday Times.
Following the exposé, Motlanthe requested that Public Protector Thuli Madonsela conduct an investigation into theallegations.
The public protector's report is believed to have relied heavily on an audit report by the Department of Trade and Industry.
The Sunday Times revealed the department's report, known as the Grant Thornton report, was the first independent proof that officials delivered on their side of a deal to solicit political support for the company 360 Aviation. It found the department's officials were guilty of "gross negligence".
Asked whether Motlanthe had been interviewed by the public protector, Masebe yesterday declined to comment.
"We will not speak about how the investigation was conducted," he said.
Kgalalelo Masibi, spokesman for Madonsela, declined to comment on the provisional report or its contents.
In a text message she said it was confidential and would only be sent to the deputy president, his partner and other relevant parties.
Department spokesman Sidwell Medupe was unavailable for comment.