Board warns about rape video
Possessing or distributing a video of the gang rape of a 17-year-old missing girl is a criminal offence, the Film and Publication Board says
“The 'rape video' is said to contain explicit sexual images of a minor, unwillingly involved in an act of sexual violence perpetrated by seven males,” CEO Yoliswa Makhasi said in a statement.
Police spokesman Warrant Officer Kay Makhubele said the girl, who was reported missing in Soweto on March 25, was raped last week by at least seven males.
The video, taken by someone on a cellphone, had reportedly gone viral and was one of the main topics trending on social networking site Twitter.
Makhubele said five men and two boys were arrested in Dobsonville on Tuesday.
“In terms of the Films and Publications Act, minors may not be used or featured in pornographic content and the creation, possession and distribution of child pornography is illegal,” said Makhasi.
She would approach prosecutors in the case to ask them to charge the men with creating and distributing child pornography.
“We also urge the media not to publish links or explicit images emanating from the 'rape video' in this regard,” she said.
Minister of Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana has condemned the act and said the distribution of pornography was a crime.
“In addition to the painful ordeal of rape the young woman was forced to endure, she is now subjected to a second assault on her dignity,” Xingwana said in a statement.
She was confident the justice system would impose the harshest possible sentence on those who had committed the crime.