Sat Oct 21 15:47:38 SAST 2017
Remembering reggae legend Lucky Dube (Photos)

To mark 10 years since Lucky Dube's death, his former recording company, Gallo Records, will release.

Protester angry as case struck off

By Mogomotsi Selebi | 2012-04-13 08:56:06.0

ONE of the residents of Thembelihle released by the Protea Magistrate's Court in Soweto this week for protesting over service delivery said yesterday that he was still angry.

Bhayibhayi Miya, who was among a group of 14 people arrested following the violent protests in September last year, is unhappy that despite the charges against him, he will not have his day in court to defend himself.

This after the case was struck off the court roll on Tuesday.

The protesters were arrested on a number of charges, including arson, malicious damage to property and public violence.

Miya was arrested on September 13 and released on October 27.

Although he said his treatment at the Johannesburg Prison was not "too bad", he was still furious that he spent time there.

During the protests, which saw community members coming face-to-face with the police, a 15-year-old girl was trampled on. She lost consciousness and had to be admitted to hospital.

Tebogo Tshwala was fortunate not to lose his eye after he was hit by a rubber bullet on his right cheek.

The protesters' lawyer Teboho Mosikili said he was relieved that the case had been struck off the roll.

X