Sat Nov 29 08:08:03 CAT 2014
Let's drool over the sizzling hot Top 12 in Mzansi

Set in the picturesque venue of the Munro Boutique hotel in Houghton, Johannesburg, the Mzansi’s Sex.

LIVING WITH DANGER: A Sowetan Special Report

By Sibongile Mashaba, Reporter, and Vathiswa Ruselo, Photographer | Mar 30, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 27 ]

ALL around us there are people living in dangerous places because they are desperate, poor and waiting for housing.

These people do not believe that their homes are built on dangerous land because no one in their area, to the best of their knowledge, has died of such hazards yet.

Today, we focus on Tudor Shaft informal settlement, outside Kagiso, on the West Rand.

This is home to about 5,000 people whose shacks are built on radioactive ground with radiation 15 times higher than normal.

The families are sitting on a ticking time bomb.

This is the first in a series of articles Sowetan will run weekly about people living on the edge, risking life and limb.

* To read the stories from the Tudor Shaft informal settlement, click on the headlines displayed as 'related articles'

Sample of what we were told:

"I  know that my shack might sink because there are holes underneath. We have been told we are not supposed to live here but where will we go?"

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

"I miss my mother's RDP house back home."

"I saw children playing in soil yellowed by radioactive uranium and other toxic metals.. This can lead to birth defects and brain disorders."

From the name Tudor Shaft, the place sound dangerous

It boggles my mind, where all these people come from........ (not being insensitive). The issue of f.ree housing will never be solved as people move from rural areas (some have houses) and come to urban areas, construct shacks and expect RDP houses.

Mar 30, 2012 1:55 | 0 replies

@CheeseBoy

I am not sure who promised heaven. The government has and is still delivering services to the citizens of this country.

Mar 30, 2012 3:54 | 0 replies

VaginaQueen-O na le energy yerrr I dont if you will have enough left ge authi ya gago e go nyakaza

Mar 30, 2012 3:57 | 0 replies

@TheNewFreedomFighter

Which city is that, that has no housing? Is the government supposed to deliver housing on demand? You arrive in Jozi today and you make the 6pm news with keys to your new RDP house? Really now, you can think, i know you can.

Mar 30, 2012 3:58 | 0 replies

@TheNewFreedomFighter

Our economy will never resemble any other but our own. How would you feel if I said to you our economy will resemble that of America or Greece? Hah? How would you feel?

Mar 30, 2012 4:2 | 0 replies

@maezizsto68

What is it with this men? Am I nothing but a thing to shag to you? Have you seen my v.a.g.i.n.a on this blog? Comment on what you see.

Mar 30, 2012 4:4 | 0 replies

people must just stop putting pressure on the government,yes there's corrupt officials out there but services are delivered around SA.

Mar 30, 2012 4:46 | 0 replies

Yep,Tsokombela! tha's plain sabotage.

Mar 30, 2012 4:48 | 0 replies

MsKinkyakaKamaSutra
From the name Tudor Shaft, the place sound dangerous

-------------

It is time the government start to give incentives on the less kids you have, currently 16 year girls get pregnant to receive grants.

Mar 31, 2012 8:21 | 0 replies

mara where do all these people come frm he! people leave home to go live is skwatas then demand for housing, i feel no pity for them, you cant just go and put shelther anywhere you like....

Apr 12, 2012 3:39 | 0 replies

Stop wit free rdp houses

Sep 27, 2013 4:55 | 0 replies