Probe into pupils 'sex strike'
THE South African Council of Educators (Sace) will visit Mahlontebe High School in Groblersdal in Limpopo next week after reports of sexual abuse.
There has not been any learning at the institution since schools reopened last week since pupils are boycotting classes. They accuse some of their teachers of having sexual relationships with female learners.
Sace spokesman Temba Ndlovhu said they had not received any report from the Department of Education concerning the alleged incidents at Mahlontebe.
"We have only learnt about the problem from newspapers and will visit the school next week to try and understand what is happening and to plan a way forward," Ndlovhu said.
Asked why the Department of Education had not reported the matter to the council, spokesman Pat Kgomo said they were still compiling a report from the school and the circuit office.
"Sace can also respond to any case from ordinary people or from a media house," Kgomo said.
Sowetan has also learnt that Mahlontebe principal Simon Sekgosana has been reporting to the circuit office since Monday after he was chased away by angry pupils, who accused him of failing to resolve the problem.
The department of education spent the better part yesterday at the school trying to find a solution, while angry pupils boycotted classes and chanted anti-sexual harassment slogans outside the school premises.
Kgomo said they had also dispatched a team of inspectors to the school to investigate the allegations.
He said the team would compile a comprehensive report on the matter.
Kgomo said the department had since January last year charged five teachers with offenses involving sexual or romantic relationships with female pupils.
"Three of those teachers were fired from the teaching profession, while the cases of the other two are still pending," Kgomo said.
MEC for education in Limpopo Dickson Namane Masemola said teachers were provided with a code of conduct policy document when they take up jobs in the province.