Tue Oct 25 23:11:53 CAT 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

Offending Roberts' column pulled out

By Sapa | Mar 01, 2011 | COMMENTS [ 10 ]

THE weekly Kuli Roberts column in Sunday World will be discontinued with immediate effect, the newspaper's editor Wally Mbhele said yesterday.

This came after complaints that the latest column - on coloured people - was racist.

Mbhele said Avusa Media and Sunday World acknowledged the outcry over the column, headlined "Jou ma se kinders".

He said it made derogatory generalisations about coloured people which were in clear violation of the South African Press Code and Avusa Media's internal codes. Mbhele said he took full responsibility "for the offending column".

"This column showed clear prejudice against a section of South African society. For this I unreservedly apologise to the South African society and to Sunday World readers," he said.

Avusa Media editor-in-chief Mondli Makhanya said the company had begun an internal inquiry into the matter.

Roberts' column comes amidst a furore over remarks made about coloureds by government spokesperson Jimmy Manyi.

Manyi, then director-general of labour, said in a show broadcast on KykNet's Robinson Regstreeks in March 2010 that there was an "over supply" of coloureds in the Western Cape.

Earlier yesterday, the SA Human Rights Commission said it was investigating a complaint about Roberts' column, spokesperson Vincent Moaga said.

City Press editor Ferial Haffajee said firing a columnist was not "the way to go".

"I think she should apologise and the paper should apologise and give its readers the right to reply."

ha ha ha...truth hurts?

Mar 01, 2011 9:27 | 0 replies

I stopped reading the sister's column in the begining. she has a hatred for the Black man I wonder why. Most of her column she,s ranting against the Black man. Good riddance to rubbish. Stereoptypes are very dangerous, some might be true but they are not helpful. I hate to be judged on the basis of my tribe or race. it is wrong. Some coloured might be violent but not all, some men are stupid but not all, some Zulus might be stuborn not, some white might be racist but not all, some blacks might be stupid but not all. My point ALL GENERALIZATION IS WRONG. DON'T JUDGE A WHOLE RACE or tribe on the stereotype you have about some among their people.

Mar 02, 2011 7:11 | 0 replies

I am commenting about what i know, i dont care about you & kuli i have seen them doing exactly what Kuli is saying,go climb over mount ever rest.

Mar 01, 2011 4:16 | 0 replies

I don't understand why some1 would just from nowhere disrespect other people like that. I'm not colored but this is very bad, disrespecting and inhuman. Good call Wally Mbhele.

Mar 01, 2011 4:13 | 0 replies

It's about time some1 stood up to this young lady. Sum race I won't mention neva stands up for themselves. She's full on nonsense but I digg her. Just suspend her for a week or two.

Mar 01, 2011 4:6 | 0 replies

@KAPPA, u must also be one of those narrow minded people that also generalise in saying things, if a coloured/indian person wrote"BLACK PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME" u would have felt offended, i'm a black guy 2, so tell me, y cant people just be people? - u need to change u'r way of thinking cause one day u'll still be telling u'r children about apartheid and they'll grow up hating other races, let me tell u something on behalf of coloured/indian people although i'm black 2- dont eva forget this- if everyone saw the world through the eyes of a child, the world would have been a much better place for all-- and dont u forget that!

Mar 01, 2011 3:52 | 0 replies

KAPPA dnt talk about things you don't know buddy, Kuli is clearly generalising because most of the coloureds I know (including me) is not like that

Mar 01, 2011 3:48 | 0 replies

I dont blame you for this you are working right next to them in WESTBURY.

Mar 01, 2011 12:47 | 0 replies

What is wrong with coloured & Indian every time there is an article about them they scream,we blacks never complain. Kuli that is so true about coloureds go to noordgesig you will see that KULI is 100% correct.

Mar 01, 2011 12:37 | 0 replies

one,two,three both of you come here, ek se vir jou bro da kuli chick ek sal her donoro man.
ons het lekker ge eet nou kom ons baklei.

i really dig aka love coloureds specially when they angry,they talk so funny.

Mar 02, 2011 8:53 | 0 replies