Fri Oct 24 10:29:10 SAST 2014
Connie returns to save troubled Generations

Connie Ferguson has confirmed that she will be returning to Generations after weeks of dodging circu.

Music man gets death threats

By Mogomotsi Selebi | Nov 10, 2011 | COMMENTS [ 37 ]

THE husband of singer Nhlanhla Nciza and TS Records owner Thembinkosi Nciza has received death threats after recently speaking out against piracy in the music industry.

Mabutho "Kid" Sithole, president of the Creative Workers Union of South Africa, warned when he revealed the threats on Sunday that a potential blood bath between artists and pirates was on the cards.

"We can't allow these guys to make our artists hungry by stealing from them," Sithole said. "This is no idle threat."

Confirming the threats after he spoke out against piracy, Thembinkosi Nciza said he had also enlisted the help of bodyguards after the threats.

"The safety of my loved ones comes first. I did what I felt was right," Nciza said. "I received threatening text messages last week but the police are dealing with the matter."

Honeydew police's Warrant Officer Karen Jacobs said they were investigating the threats against Nciza.

"In 2007 we had aR1-billion industry. Now it is worth only R350-million. I feel police should be doing more, but for them, piracy is just a petty crime," Nciza said.

Asked about the possibility of full-scale violence, Nciza said: "It's very real. All the signs are there. Zahara has sold 310,000 copies so far. If it were not for piracy, she could have easily sold a million."

Zahara's CDs are being sold for R10 by street vendors.

"We have been hearing reports that Zahara's album has sold a lot of copies, but most of those sales were illegal. That is why many of our artists die poor," said Nciza.

Sowetan bought two CDs for a measly R20, and when told about the artists' unhappiness, the vendor said: "I'm only trying to make a living."

Gospel artist Lusanda Mcinga revealed that his son was beaten up when he approached a man selling fake CDs in Idutywa in Eastern Cape.

"My son was also assaulted by police in Idutywa. They accused him of assaulting the street vendor," said Mcinga of Lusanda Spiritual Group.

Johannesburg metro police spokesman Wayne Minnaar said they had waged war against those behind the manufacturing and selling of the fake products.

"We recently arrested a number of suspects we found with equipment used to manufacture CDs. By arresting them, we will defeat them," said Minnaar.

David du Plessis, operations director at the Recording Industry of South Africa, said it would be difficult to fight piracy and warned: "As long as there is a market for it, there will be piracy."

Mr. Nciza the industry is bigger than you! how d u expect me to buy an R80 CD without any message whatsoever, and you are realising your albums every month? What message is "hlokoloza" damn im comfortable with my R5 CD's i play it for 2days and another one is in the market.

Nov 10, 2011 7:27 | 0 replies

I dont buy knock off....us house music cats have better assists than that....so if you are a house music cat...let me know...

Nov 10, 2011 8:52 | 0 replies

Fo me................... piracy,piracy,piracy none stop ,simply because i can't buy a CD for R110 only to find that the song i like is the only one that makes sense and the rest are BULL ,mean while i have access to internet 24/7 . * HELL NO*

Nov 10, 2011 8:53 | 0 replies

The problem with SA artist is one.
1. First the was a 45 record played on a home system.
2.Secondly , they developed a LP record.
3.Then there was a recording tape, that you would record music froma radio or what ever
4.Fourhtly, they created a 90 recording tape, Hosts on radios would talk when music was playing to avoid copying.
Then came a CD + computers + more advanced technologies. So, some artist like Celione Dione used their resources to protect their valuables.But our SA artist theywould rather copy the not so usefull life of USA rappers and Rnds cribes and forget their valuables.

People even Mbutu Kid Sithole,forget that technology is all behind these.And you cannot say someone is stilling your things when you do not protect it.Banks are fighting phishing in all their might.
So, stop being co!ws and protect you valuables.

Nov 10, 2011 9:1 | 0 replies

The devil runs the music industry and piracy. So whether we like it or not there will be people who will will resort to piracy. I'm not condoning piracy but I'm just being realistic. In this computer-technology age, it takes a kid or a grown-up 6mins to write a cd, which took the artist and producers months and sleepless nights to produce. Of course there are artists and producers who do shoddy work which doesn't deserve to be on the shelves and the price tag, but this is not an excuse to 'commit sin' by buying pirated copies. It takes a rational and reformed person like myself to say no to piracy and buy original copies. TK is endangering his life and that of his beloved family by taking the war to people running the piracy business. It is the duty of police to protect the rights of citizens, but because of corruption the culprits are protected by the law.

Nov 10, 2011 9:11 | 0 replies

@DjEp.....Mr, if you can not afford to buy an original CD, then don't buy it. This issue is real, the pirated DVDs and CDs industry is runned by Mafias who used the proceeds to finance more drugs, cars and other illegal business.

Yes, the man on the street will claim that he is trying to omake a living.If we allow it to happen, then lets not arrest because who are breaking and stealing from the businesses and our houses..lets not arrest car hijackers...U see what I mean? Lets not justify wrong doing.

If these pirates declare a War against our South African Entertainment industry, I will join them.Most (underline that word- Most) of these Pirates are fuccken Foreigners.They don't care about South Africans.

Nov 10, 2011 9:13 | 0 replies

Though m against Piracy i refuse to spend my hard earned cash for songs like *so hlangana ku Facebook*

Nov 10, 2011 9:17 | 0 replies

So don't Jaha-ra. But don't buy the non-genuine copies either please.

Nov 10, 2011 9:32 | 0 replies

Piracy is not killing anyone ...........in my house i got BHUDAZA,SELAELO SELOTA,
JUDITH SEPHUMA ,STIMELA AND THOMAS CHAUKE Originals that i bought with
my hard earned cash just because they are more original and they always work extra
mile to reach a client's satisfaction .will you expect me to buy Mgarimbe's cd while he
is vulgar and boring ?also do u expect me to go for Authur and Chomee 's music ????

Nov 10, 2011 9:47 | 0 replies

Mornachies. You and several others here miss the point. This has nothing to do with ones taste. It is simply an appeal to PAY for what you buy, in such a way that the artist actually gets his/her royalties. Quitte honestly, I don't think anyone cares avout what you or I like. Nobody is forcing you to like Arthur and Chomee. You don't like it, don't listen to it. It's that simple. But if you are listening to it, regardless of whether you like it or not, you are still listening to a product made by someone who deserves to be paid for that. I don't understand how this is not self-evident. It is painfully obvious.

Nov 10, 2011 9:53 | 0 replies

This makwerekwere are the ones who are selling fake CD's.

Nov 10, 2011 10:8 | 0 replies