Kekana, wife cross swords over estate

David Kekana
David Kekana
Image: Veli Nhlapo/ Sowetan

A nasty war has broken out between SABC soccer analyst David Kekana and his estranged sugar mama over the division of their estate and control of their company.

Sunday World can reveal that Kekana's wife, Lesley Jane Kekana, had applied for an order in the Joburg high court to force him to hand over share certificates of trust accounts he allegedly took when vacating their multimillion- rand home in Dainfern Estate, north of Joburg. 

According to court documents, Lesley and John Holder are trustees of Carmel Trust, which allegedly owns 90% of David's company Sales Talk 98, while Kekana was a trustee of DK Trust, which owns the other 10% of the company.

Lesley, who is 10 years his senior, stated that Sales Talk bought a R5m house in the grandiose estate in 2007, two years after their marriage under antenuptial contract in 2005.

She said their nuptial was not registered because the two- month period to register it, as decreed by law, had lapsed.

Lesley said she loaned Sales Talk R3m so it could qualify to get a bond and the remaining R2m was paid for by the bank.

She said she later paid another R1.2m on Kekana's behalf to settle the bond account, this time in exchange for his 10% share in DK Trust, which she said she would keep in pledge until he had settled the loan.

Lesley said they agreed that Kekana should repay the loan in monthly instalments over 60 months but he only paid R243,000 over nine months and allegedly defaulted.

She said his failure to repay the loan in full put a strain on their marriage, which resulted in Kekana vacating their home in 2015, taking with him her car, the original signed share certificates and Sales Talk company documents, as well as her will, among other documents.

"The total monies due to me in terms of the second agreement is the amount of R1,800, 567.19," reads her affidavit.

In his affidavit, Kekana, who now lives in Pimville, Soweto, denied that he took the Carmel Trust and DK Trust share certificates, saying that as far as he was concerned, the latter was dormant.

He also insisted their unregistered marriage should have a bearing on their case.

Kekana further denied that the trusts were members of Sales Talk and alleged that Lesley unlawfully included her son from a previous marriage as one of the company directors.

He again denied that Lesley loaned Sales Talk R3m and said the money came from Investec Bank and not from her.

Kekana said in his papers that Lesley paid R1.2m into the bond account but said he repaid her by allowing her to use R10,000 a month from his credit card and paying for all the household expenses.

He further denied that he took Lesley's car and said he only took his two vehicles and his documents from the safe and left the house after he stumbled upon documents purported to have been signed by Sales Talk directors in which they accepted his resignation from the company.

The TV analyst also said Lesley withdrew almost R2m from the flexi facility of the bond account but returned it after threats of legal action from the bank, apparently after he complained to them.

Kekana could not be reached for comment and Lesley could not be drawn into commenting about the matter. She said she was driving and could not commit to an interview later.

X