Defiant PSL unfazed by Ajax threat
Premier Soccer League (PSL) chairman Irvin Khoza says the league will live with the consequences of a possible interdict from Ajax Cape Town, as the league insists on going ahead with the programme in three weeks' time.
The PSL are appealing a ruling by Judge Denise Fisher to set aside an arbitration by Advocate William Mokhari involving Ajax and Tendai Ndoro.
Mokhari had sanctioned Ajax for fielding an ineligible Ndoro and deducted nine points from the club that plunged them down to automatic relegation.
But after the league's executive committee resolved to appeal the judgment, the board of governors yesterday ratified the decision.
Ajax chief executive Ari Efstathiou told Sowetan earlier in the week that they would go to court to halt the start of the 2018/19 campaign, set for the weekend of August 3/4.
"We will wait for it [possible interdict] at that particular time and respond accordingly, but now we are going ahead," Khoza said when quizzed about the threat Ajax made to interdict the start of the new season next month.
"The board of governors arrived at an unanimous decision that whatever happens the games will start on August 4.
"It is better we deal with this matter decisively [or] else we will bear the consequences, but leadership dictates that we provide certainty."
He also conceded that a lot was at stake that demanded the new season start as scheduled. "We have a responsibility towards our sponsors and other stakeholders.
'This will be the most congested season ever in the history of the PSL. One date missed will have irreparable damage."
The chairman also revealed that they had approached Judge President Dustin Mlambo to deal with the matter speedily.
The league needs Fisher to grant leave to appeal her judgment and have it reviewed before the start of the season next month.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.