Bloemfontein Celtic players on strike - again
Bloemfontein Celtic's financial woes have continued as the players staged a strike after the club failed to pay salaries at the end of last month.
In the latest round of protest action by the players, a majority of the squad stayed away from training on Monday and yesterday.
Sowetan has gathered that about five players pitched yesterday.
"It is not everyone who did not get paid. It looks like some guys were paid while others did not get," a source close to the situation said.
"We did not train today [yesterday] because it was only a few guys who pitched up so training had to be cancelled.
"This problem has been going on for a while and the guys decided to take action."
Attempts to get comment from owner Max Tshabalala and chief executive Khumbulani Konco were unsuccessful as their phones were off.
The club's financial problems have been well documented in the past and have culminated in Tshabalala putting it up for sale last month.
Back in March, the players launched a similar strike allegedly when their signing on fees were not paid.
This was before their home game against Platinum Stars.
In an interview with Sowetan back in May, Tshabalala admitted that the club was in dire financial straits and was forced to sell.
According to our sources, the players have now informed management that they were unwilling to train until their salaries were paid in full.
Celtic recently appointed Steve Komphela as head coach after Serbian Veselin Jelusic bailed on them. Veselin, too, is said to have complained about being owned money.
The management has in the past months been putting out sporadic fires as it's unclear if the club - put on sale in May - would relocate.