Teko Modise skips tunis trip
Teko Modise's future at Mamelodi Sundowns is in doubt after he opted against travelling with the team to Tunisia for a CAF Champions League fixture.
His contract with the Brazilians comes to a conclusion in two weeks' time, but Sundowns have a one-year option which they are yet to activate.
This resulted in Modise asking Pitso Mosimane to be recused from the trip to Tunis, where Sundowns face Esperance on Wednesday in Group C. After three rounds of fixtures, Esperance top the group with seven points, including full points in Pretoria where they beat Downs 2-1 on June 2.
Modise sat out that fixture because of flu, according to his representative Jazzman Mahlakgane. But his absence this time has to do with the fact that his future is uncertain.
"Teko trained with the team and has been reporting for work as usual," Mahlakgane said. "But he asked not to be taken to Tunisia because his contract situation is still unclear. Let's say he gets injured there, who would take responsibility for him when his contract is up in two weeks?"
Modise, 34, joined Sundowns in 2011 and went on to win six trophies with the Brazilians. But he's been reduced to a bit-part player in the last season, prompting his desire to seek regular game time elsewhere before he retires.
Mahlakgane would not say if Modise had already received solid offers. "We are engaging Sundowns, and we should conclude the matter soon.
"Teko's contract says Sundowns must tell us if they activate their one-year option before the end of June, so we are still within the deadline. It's just that with so much uncertainty, it would be unfair to expect him to play [in the Champions League]," Mahlakgane said.
Modise was recently quoted in the media as saying he was happy to leave for more game time elsewhere, but it remains unclear where he's headed.