Promoters want early confirmation

Real Steel Promotions boss Andre Thysse is pleading with the SABC  to inform promoters who win tenders to stage tournaments early  so that they can give trainers and boxers enough time to prepare for fights. /  Frennie Shivambu/Gallo Images
Real Steel Promotions boss Andre Thysse is pleading with the SABC to inform promoters who win tenders to stage tournaments early so that they can give trainers and boxers enough time to prepare for fights. / Frennie Shivambu/Gallo Images

Promoter Andre Thysse hopes the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will speed up its process of announcing a promoter who will stage a live boxing tournament in the Northern Cape on November 24.

The former SA and Commonwealth super middleweight champion said he tendered for Northern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal for December, and Mpumalanga and Gauteng for April and May next year.

But for now his focus is the Northern Cape tournament.

"We need to know soonest who gets to do it so that you do not have unhappy promoters, boxers, trainers and managers because of the late announcement," he said yesterday.

"Look, you have six promoters tendering for one tournament - a six-bout card. That means 72 boxers are training.

"Then one promoter wins the tender and gets told at the 11th hour. Imagine what happens to the boxers who have been training only to be informed a few days later that they are not fighting."

Thysse, boss of Real Steel Promotions, insisted that all he was pleading for was early confirmation by the SABC on which promoter has won the tender for the Northern Cape to avoid confusion which can breed unhappiness among all stakeholders.

A source within the SABC said the winners of the tenders to stage live boxing in Limpopo and Northern Cape will be made this week.

Newly crowned SA heavyweight champion Osborne Machimana claimed promoter Lebo Mahoko informed him of a sudden date change by the SABC prior to his fight against Justice Siliga for the vacant SA title in Bloemfontein last Friday night.

"I did not train for the fight. I knew that we were fighting on October 27.

"I then received a call from the promoter informing me that we are now fighting tonight [last Friday night] because the SABC had given him that date," Machimana said after the fight.

Mahoko confirmed that initially he wanted to stage the tournament on October 27.

"But when I was confirmed as having won the tender, a request was made by the SABC that I do it last week because their crew would be in Bloemfontein for football during the Macufe festival," he said.

"They apologised for the whole inconvenience. We had a good show together with the SABC, I think."

Attempts to reach the SABC were in vain as spokesman Kaizer Kganyago did not answer calls at the time of going to print.

X