Kesa to miss Cape race but assures quick return
Rising 10km star Kesa Molotsane has dealt organisers of the FNB Cape Town 12 OneRun a blow with her withdrawal from the 12km race this Sunday.
The 25-year-old has however assured her followers that it was a minor setback and that she'd be back by next month.
Molotsane told Sowetan yesterday that she had already booked a doctor's appointment to fix "a minor health issue".
"It's not something serious because I'll only be out for the remainder of May. I had the doctor's date booked today [yesterday] already and I couldn't cancel to proceed to Cape Town 12. But I'll be ready in June," the University of Free State anthropology honours student said.
With her withdrawal from the Cape 10km race, Molotsane has paved the way for Irvette van Zyl to assume the favourite's tag to retain the crown she clinched in the inaugural edition last year.
The two have established a fierce rivalry in the 10km contest, with KPMG Athletics club runner Molotsane coming out tops on the four occasions they have met.
Said Van Zyl: "I had a really good run here in 2016 and would like to defend my title. It is sad that Kesa will not be here, we have had some great races this year, but that doesn't mean that I can relax. There is Nolene Conrad and Cornelia Joubert to name but two who will be tough to beat."
Conrad placed third - behind Molotsane and Van Zyl - in the 5000m final at the SA Championships in Potchefstroom last month.