JOB AD | Political reporter (mid)
Here's your chance to join the team at one of South Africa's most innovative publishers
Reporting to: News editor
Department: Sowetan Editorial
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
Sowetan is looking for a political reporter to cover national politics and breaking exclusive stories. The candidate must have a strong news sense, the ability to work under strict deadline pressure, and a proven track record of writing stories that set the agenda.
- Deliver quality, accurate, fair and balanced distinctive political stories for digital and print platforms.
- Quick turnaround on breaking news and adherence to strict deadlines.
- Manage own daily and long-term diary.
- Have an extensive network of political contacts, both nationally and in provinces.
- Contribute to building and growing SowetanLIVE's audience by meeting its need for quality content.
- Take assignments from news editors and investigate news leads/tips.
Skills and attributes
- Be self-motivated with the ability to lead and work within a team.
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant diploma/degree in journalism.
- At least 3–5 years’ experience as a political journalist.
- Demonstrable knowledge and intimate understanding of the political landscape.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Proven track record of breaking political stories and writing across platforms.
- Be motivated with an ability to manage own time and work in a team.
- Solid foundation in reporting general news.
- Intimate knowledge of how government and its three spheres work.
Applications deadline: October 23 2020
CVs, a cover letter and two references should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arena Holdings is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. If we do not respond to you in the next two months, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.