Fritz said another extortion syndicate that targeted Chinese businesses was bust in November.
“Previously, a syndicate of eight members were arrested, including the main kingpin,” he said.
“This related to five kidnappings and one attempted kidnapping of members of the Chinese business community. These incidents occurred from July to November 2020 and could result in more linkages in future. At present, all suspects are in custody. Their bail application is on January 22 2021. The state will oppose bail.”
Fritz said assured the Chinese business community that their safety was a priority.
“I wish to reassure members of the Chinese and business community that your safety is of the utmost importance to us,” he said.
“We need to encourage and support business in the province if we are to recover our economy. My departmental officials continue to engage in weekly steering committee meetings on business extortion in the province, and I am very pleased with the results and progress made to date.”