Correctional services department has over 2,000 Covid-19 cases
The correctional services department has recorded 2,190 Covid-19 cases.
The cases comprise 983 officials and 1,207 inmates. Of these cases, 523 were active, said spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo.
The 63 new cases since Thursday were from:
- Gauteng — 20;
- Western Cape — 18;
- Eastern Cape — 12;
- Free State & Northern Cape — 7;
- KwaZulu-Natal — 3;
- Limpopo, Mpumalanga & North West — 3; and
- One from the Eastern Cape.
The breakdown of Covid-19 cases per province in the department is as follows:
- Eastern Cape has 314 officials and 718 inmates with Covid-19. The province has recorded five deaths.
- The Western Cape has recorded 448 cases of officials and 451 cases of inmates with Covid-19, and nine deaths.
- There are 144 officials who have tested positive for Covid-19 in Gauteng with 33 positive inmates. The province has recorded three deaths.
- KwaZulu-Natal has 26 officials and four inmates who have tested positive for Covid-19.
- Mpumalanga, North West and Limpopo have 24 officials and one inmate who have contracted Covid-19.
- The Free State and the Northern Cape have recorded 21 officials who have tested positive.
- The head office has six cases.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.