Security guard accused of kidnapping Durban toddler granted bail
A man accused of attempting to kidnap a little boy in a retail store at a Durban mall has been granted bail.
Ntandoyenkosi Bulose, 29, appeared in the Verulam magistrate’s court on Monday where he was granted bail of R2,000.
CCTV footage, allegedly of Bulose, a security guard at a retail outlet at Crescent Mall in the plush suburb of Umhlanga, went viral last week. In the video, a man is seen removing the child from a trolley, while his grandmother is engaged with a store assistant.
Prosecutor Nathi Ngcongo told magistrate John Moore that Bulose had exited the store after picking up the toddler.
“He (Bulose) exited the store and headed towards the liquor store. The grandmother of the victim began to scream and the accused heard this. He then walked out of the liquor store and handed the victim back to the grandmother,” Ngcongo told the court.
Bulose didn't react throughout the proceedings.
In accordance with his bail conditions, he is not allowed within the precinct of the Crescent Mall and will have to report to the Ntuzuma police station every Wednesday between 6am and 6pm until his next court appearance.
During his first appearance, the court postponed the matter to establish whether Bulose had any previous convictions or pending warrants and to find out whether he is linked to any kidnapping syndicates.
Bulose is expected back in court on March 2.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.