Bara baby suspect makes u-turn‚ will ask for bail while deciding on her plea

Kereleng Ramoisa previously dropped her bail application in the matter in which she is accused of abducting a newborn baby from Baragwanath hospital.
Kereleng Ramoisa previously dropped her bail application in the matter in which she is accused of abducting a newborn baby from Baragwanath hospital.
Image: Nomahlubi Jordaan/TimesLIVE

Alleged baby snatcher Kereleng Ramoisa's decision to request bail was hampered on Friday‚ in part because of a power failure at the Protea Magistrate's Court.

The 24-year-old Soweto woman is accused of abducting a newborn baby from the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital.

Dressed in a pink jersey‚ shiny trousers and black boots‚ Ramoisa was expressionless as she stepped into the dock.

At a previous appearance‚ Ramoisa indicated that she wanted to plead guilty. But she has since changed her mind.

Her attorney‚ Gift Makete‚ said his client wanted to reverse the plea and would instead bring an application for bail.

"I still have to gather instructions for the plea details ... I consulted with her but there were some issues that I needed clarity on‚ but we will postpone for bail ..." he told TimesLIVE before the court proceedings.

Makete said he advised Ramoisa not to plead at this stage.

The prosecution agreed to a postponement as officials were unclear when the electricity supply would be restored.

In court‚ Makete declared his client's intention to apply for bail‚ which was granted.

The matter was postponed for a week‚ to June 28.

- TMG Digital

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X