IEC 'dismisses' all objections to ANC candidates
Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has informed the ANC that all the objections submitted against their candidates - who are going to represent the party either in the National Assembly and in the provincial legislatures - have been dismissed.
SowetanLIVE has seen a message sent by ANC NEC member Andries Nel to party officials informing them of the decision by the IEC.
"Earlier this evening we received formal communication from the IEC informing us that all objections to ANC candidates have been dismissed," Nel's message read.
The IEC opened up the lists sent by the 48 political parties for scrutiny giving members of the public powers to object to some of the names.
IEC informed the ANC of the objections to some of their candidates, which included cabinet ministers - Nomvula Mokonyane, Bathabile Dlamini, Zweli Mkhize, Angie Motshekga and Bheki Cele and former ministers Malusi Gigaba, Mosebenzi Zwane, Faith Muthambi, Bongani Bongo, Tina Joemat-Pettersson and David Mahlobo which the party had to respond to.
Former North West premier Supra Mahumapelo, who is on the list for the national assembly, had also been objected to, along with MPs Cedric Frolick and Vincent Smith, whose names were recently linked to the Bosasa scandal by the company's former chief operating officer Angelo Agrizzi.
Some of the objections included state capture, fraud and rape among others. However, SowetanLIVE understands that the said objections not meet the IEC requirements.
ANC's head of elections Fikile Mbalula said they would only comment after the IEC makes the announcement on Tuesday.
- Additional reporting by Andisiwe Makinana
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.