Ramaphosa mulls NPA inquiry's report on Jiba and Mrwebi fitness for office
Justice Yvonne Mokgoro has submitted her report on whether senior National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) officials Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi are fit to hold office.
It is not yet known what Mokgoro and her fellow panelists have recommended to President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Early this year, the inquiry heard six weeks of evidence dealing with, among other things, prosecutorial decisions taken on politically sensitive cases, such as the decisions to withdraw charges against former crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli and to institute racketeering charges against former KZN Hawks head Johan Booysen.
The inquiry into the suspended officials is seen as part of the process to restore the integrity of the NPA. Ramaphosa suspended Jiba and Mrwebi on full pay in October 2018, pending the finalisation of the inquiry.
Both Mrwebi, the suspended special director of public prosecutions, and Jiba, the suspended deputy national director of public prosecutions, had adverse comments made about them in court judgments - specifically about how they had acted in litigation that followed the prosecutorial decisions.
Inquiry spokesperson Bongiwe Gambu confirmed on Monday that the report had been submitted to the president, marking the end of the inquiry's work.
"Now that the report has been submitted, justice Mokgoro will meet the president for a formal presentation and handover of the report this week," said Gambu.
She said details of the meeting would be communicated in due course and it is expected that once the meeting has taken place, the presidency will take over communication on the matter - including on the final decision made by Ramaphosa.
Ramaphosa's spokesperson, Khusela Diko, confirmed receipt of the report and said the president was studying it.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.