Zizi Kodwa still on the beat at Luthuli House - despite stepping down as spokesman

ANC head of presidency Zizi Kodwa is still doing official party duties despite facing rape allegations.
ANC head of presidency Zizi Kodwa is still doing official party duties despite facing rape allegations.

Zizi Kodwa is carrying on with his duties as the head of President Cyril Ramaphosa's office at Luthuli House despite his temporal removal as one of the ANC spokesmen following sexual assault allegations.

Kodwa who had vehemently denied the allegations, was seen earlier today working closely with Ramaphosa and other party leaders as they campaigned for votes in Soweto as part of the ANC's bid to keep the Gauteng  province.

Speaking to the Sowetan on Thursday, Kodwa stated that his role as the head of the ANC presidency should not be confused with that of an acting spokesman.

He had "voluntarily stepped down" as the acting spokesman after allegations of rape were made against him.

“I remain the head of ANC presidency and also a member of the national executive committee so wherever the president goes in relation to his programme, you will from time to time see me,” said Kodwa.

Kodwa was accused by a woman of raping her at a posh hotel in Sandton, the incident allegedly happened last year.

Kodwa, who appeared to be in a jolly good mood on Thursday, said it was important for him to take the decision to step aside in order to protect the integrity of the ANC.

He said he wanted to concentrate on his personal issues and not to carry on with being the spokesperson of the ANC, as this is a critical position.

“Each time you communicate issues of the ANC, you are asked about your other [personal] issues even though I have already denied anything that had to do with fabricated allegations,” Kodwa told Sowetan.

Kodwa said he will over a period of time, issue out a second statement relating to the developments of the allegations.

Mabe on the other hand, had been accused of sexual harassment by Kgoerano Kekana - his former PA - in November last year.

Mabe was however cleared by the party’s internal disciplinary hearing chaired by ANC NEC member S’dumo Dlamini, among other officials.

ANC NEC member Dakota Legoete continues to act as the party’s spokesperson.

X