Sentencing proceedings for Coligny killers under way
The North West high court was full to capacity with community members and family members of the two farm workers found guilty of killing a Coligny teenager ahead of sentencing.
Phillip Schutte and Pieter Doorewaard are expected to hear their fate on Wednesday as judge Ronald Hendricks hands down sentence.
The pair was found guilty in October last year of killing Matlhomola Mosweu of Scotland informal settlement after accusing him of stealing sunflower heads.
During the last court sitting , state prosecutor advocate Rapula Molefe submitted that Mosweu’s killing was brutal, savage, horrible and barbaric. The 16-year-old was assaulted before being thrown out of a moving bakkie.
EFF regional secretary Dintwe Mekgwe said on Wednesday morning that the party held a night vigil on Tuesday night outside the court in Mahikeng.
The party, which has been supporting Mosweu's family throughout the trial, said the aim was to send a clear message to the court that the two must be sentenced to no less than 25 years in prison.
“We are very clear that we want life sentence, but [the] munimun [sentence] must be nothing [less] than 25 years. We are here to say these murderers must go to jail for life as they have ended a life of an innocent boy who we expected a lot from,” he said.
Court proceedings were expected to start at 10am.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.