×

We've got news for you.

Register on SowetanLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

Michelangelo evacuated as fire breaks out in next door restaurant

Parts of the Michaelangelo Hotel caught fire early on Wednesday.
Parts of the Michaelangelo Hotel caught fire early on Wednesday.
Image: Robert Botha

Smoke soared into the sky above the luxury Michelangelo hotel in Sandton on Wednesday as a fire broke out in the kitchen of a nearby eatery.

It was quickly contained, said Johannesburg emergency services spokesperson Nana Radebe.

"It took us five minutes to extinguish the fire." 

Radebe said parts of a kitchen caught fire.

Michelangelo staff said guests were evacuated as a precaution and no one was injured or hotel property damaged.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.