ANC municipal bigwig faces chop for missing R5m
The future of a senior politician in Limpopo is hanging by a thread after he was fingered in the disappearance of R5.5-million from a municipal account.
Mbuzi Mahlangu is a senior politician at the Sekhukhune district municipality ,
The money was meant to pay contractors for work done.
On July 5, it was discovered that R4.5m was paid into two different bank accounts, while R1m was found to have been paid into another account four days later.
Four officials have been suspended for the discovery of the fraudulent transactions, and are waiting to appear before a disciplinary hearing.
Mahlangu, a member of the mayoral committee responsible for infrastructure at the municipality, was the acting mayor at the time of the dubious transactions.
The ANC in the Sekhukhune region has resolved to recall the embattled Mahlangu from the position.
A highly-placed source within the ruling party in Sekhukhune confirmed yesterday a decision had been taken to recall Mahlangu.
He said although the matter was still being discussed internally, they had taken a decision to recall Mahlangu.
"For now processes are still being undertaken to have Mahlangu recalled. But it will definitely happen," said the source, who did not wish to be identified for fear of reprisals.
"We still have to meet with the executive mayor who is the regional chairman of the ANC to inform him of the decision. But Mahlangu is as good as gone," he added.
According to the source, Mahlangu had "on several occasions" failed to comply with what the ANC had requested him to do.
Mahlangu on Monday confirmed having heard about his impending recall.
"I can confirm that I heard rumours about the decision to recall me but nobody has told me about it yet. I will wait until such time it is communicated to me officially," he said.
"I was deployed to the position by the ANC and the organisation has the right to take any decision about my future."
Municipal spokesperson Willie Mosoma on Monday said a team of forensic investigators had since been appointed on July 12 to probe the matter.
Captain Matimba Maluleke, spokesperson for the Hawks in the province, confirmed that investigations into the matter were under way.
ANC spokesperson in Sekhukhune, Tshepo Matentji, refused to be drawn into the matter, saying it had been dealt with internally.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.