Mduduzi Manana throws weight behind women's march

Former deputy minister Mduduzi Manana is urging men to fight abuse of women and children.
Former deputy minister Mduduzi Manana is urging men to fight abuse of women and children.
Image: ALON SKUY

Convicted women basher and politician Mduduzi Manana has posted a video clip on social media declaring his support of the events planned for today against gender-based violence.

In a 59-second video clip that was posted on Facebook, Manana, who stepped down as ANC MP last week when he was due to face the joint subcommittee of the ethics and members' interests committee, said: "On the eve of Women's Month, I join the call for a total shutdown in full support [of] the marches organised for the 1st of August 2018 by various women's organisations, including the Young Women's Desk, the Women's Intersectional Organisation and many others."

Seated on an upholstered couch with his hand holding a cushion, Manana continued: "Drawing from my hard lessons, I wish to call on all men from the length and breadth of our country to join these marches and also participate in all other activities planned for the month of August."

The controversial former deputy minister of higher education last year paid a R100 000 fine and was ordered by the Randburg Magistrate's Court to undergo 500 hours of community service for assaulting three women at a popular nightclub in Johannesburg.

He also had to pay his three victims more than R26 000 as a form of compensation.

In a separate development last week, the National Prosecuting Authority announced it would not prosecute Manana on the allegations of assaulting his former domestic worker, Christine Wiro.

Yesterday, Manana said: "I'd also like to add that the fight against the abuse of women and children should not be confined to the August month only, but should be reinforced throughout the year. Men, let us take a stand and fight against gender-based violence."

Last month, popular musician Arthur Mafokate attracted a barrage of criticism when he announced that he would be joining a march organised by the government for men to show their opposition to the abuse of women.

Women's Month Message #Total_Shutdown #No_to_Gender_Based_Violence

Posted by Mduduzi C. Manana on Tuesday, 31 July 2018

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

X