Five Pretoria taxi drivers hospitalised after shooting linked to routes dispute
Five taxi drivers belonging to the Menlyn Taxi Association have been hospitalised following a shooting related to a long-standing dispute over routes in the Pretoria CBD.
An unidentified armed man allegedly opened fire randomly and struck the drivers, after an argument ensued between Menlyn Taxi Association and Mamelodi Taxi Association on Thursday morning.
A representative of Menlyn Taxi Association said the Mamelodi Taxi Association drivers used their minibuses to block their way on Sisulu street and drivers retaliated by physically removing the vehicles, which led to the man opening fire.
"The shooter opened fire randomly and hit five of our drivers. Two are in critical condition at Steve Biko Hospital. The two that are in critical condition were hit on the back," Mxolisi Rakgalakane said.
He said the dispute had been on-going for some time but they reached a truce three years ago.
He said their Mamelodi counterparts wanted to wrestle their routes.
"We are relieved no commuter was injured," he added.
Commuters were left stranded but were thankful they did not get caught up in the violence.
Koketso Motlane, 21, a skin care consultant, said they now feared for their safety.
"This is bad and we are scared. I was unable to go to work but I am glad I am not hurt," she said.
Police forensic crime scene investigators are scouring the scene, gathering evidence.
Streets affected are Marina and Sisulu near the SA Reserve Bank with a large crowd of onlookers still gathering.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.