Food poisoning scare as 26 primary school pupils taken to hospital

A group of primary school pupils had to be rushed to hospital on suspicion they had ingested poisoned food.
A group of primary school pupils had to be rushed to hospital on suspicion they had ingested poisoned food.
Image: Mandla Khoza

About 26 pupils from Ndimande Primary School in Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga, were taken to hospital after being fed suspected poisonous food. 

According to the families, their children went to school on Wednesday only for them to be told later that the children were in hospital  vomiting and with diarrhoea. 

“My grandchild went to school and when we waited for him to come back I heard from neighbours that children have been poisoned and are in hospital," said Anah Ngobeni. 

"At around 9pm we camped outside the school and they were brought back by taxis hired by the school with medications and pills.

"We are scared that there is something wrong at the school or maybe they fed them rotten food because yesterday they ate milk at the school which means the milk was not right. For now we can’t allow them to eat at the school,” she said.

Some of the children couldn’t attend school on Thursday because they were still recovering from the sickness. 

When Sowetan visited the school, the principal declined to be interviewed and ordered Sowetan to leave the school's premises. 

Three women were seen preparing food for the pupils on an outside fire. 

Spokesperson for the department of education, Jasper Zwane, said they were investigating the incident.  

“The department is investigating the circumstances that led to the incident. The report at our disposal says the learners were treated and discharged. 

"The majority are back at school and teaching and learning is progressing well. The department is monitoring the developments and will from Monday May 27 offer the required counselling,” said Zwane.

X